Construction History of NENA
From the first 51 houses to today
Development began in 1939 with the North Encanto Park subdivision containing 89 residential lots between 15th and 16th Avenues and from Thomas Road to Earll Drive. The first 51 houses were built by a syndicate who's agent was Mr. Volney Bell. The plans were by Orville A. Bell, architect and construction by Broman & Chapman. By February ground had been broken on the first 29 houses, all of which had FHA financing. The remaining 22 applications were being processed. Houses averaged $4,000 and the subdivision was scheduled to be annexed by the city. By September 1940, 20 homes had been occupied, 27 were nearing completion, 12 had been started and all of the remaining lots in the 89 unit subdivision had been sold.
By July 1941 construction had begun on the west side of 16th Avenue and in January 1942 Joseph Nuber announced the opening of an additional 25 lots of North Encanto Park subdivision facing what is now 16th Drive. (It should be noted that there can be confusion in historic references as 15th Drive was originally called 16th Drive, 16th Drive was called 17th Drive and 17th Drive was called 17th Place until the names were corrected in 1951.) Construction on these lots on 16th Drive was delayed by the war until 1944. In February 1944 Andy Womack announced the start of home construction in this and other sections of the city. Encanto Terrace subdivision, between 17th and 18th Avenues south of Earll Drive, was developed starting in 1945-46 and Truman Terrace subdivision, north of Earll Drive, containing Flower Circle was under construction by 1946. In March of 1946 Alfred Andersen was building 22 houses on Flower Circle.
come on over:
Between 15th and 16th Avenues and from Thomas Road to Earll Drive